1. Who (are you?), What (do you for a living?), Where (do you live?)
My Name is Gerrit and I live nearby Frankfurt, Germany.
As a day job I’m working for a big Smartphone & Consumer Electronics Brand and lead their Direct to Consumer/ eCommerce Business.
2. When did your love for sneakers start and why do you love sneakers so much?
First of all my love for sneakers go beyond collecting sneakers but I’m a sneaker customizer also.
I started collecting sneakers about 16 – 17 years ago. At that point of time I did only know footlocker and other big retailers and didn’t have a clue about all those independent sneaker boutiques that carry a very different line up incl. limited collabs.
I remember seeing some pairs that I’ve never seen before on the internet and started researching more and more. A few years later I started customizing my own kicks.
The initial starting point on customizing was that I ordered a custom Roshe Run from a well known customizer in America. Once I received the pair I was super disappointed about the poor quality and execution of the work. I was convinced that I could do a better job myself and customized my first pair shortly after.
3. Do you remember your first pair of sneakers? Which pair was it?
Honestly speaking that’s pretty hard to recall. It must have been a Nike Vandal High I believe.
4. What’s your favorite brand and model?
My Favorite Brand and Model is definitely the Nike Air Max 1. Just a classic all-time great and iconic runner that never gets old in my eyes.
Overall I’m more a runner guy despite playing Hoops half of my life. But I wear high tops mostly on the court, rarely off the court.
5. How many sneakers do you have in your collection?
That changes from time to time. Currently my collection is somewhere between 250-300 pairs.
The majority is Nike’s and Asics, but you’ll also find some Diadora, New Balance and Adidas in my collection.
6. What’s your favorite pair from your collection?
My all-time favorite pair definitely the Air Max 1 Elephant. Despite other pairs being more hyped and having higher resell value, the Elephant is the one pair that stands out for me ever since its original release in 2007.
7. Which pair(s) are still on your wish list?
There are some pairs that will remain on my wish list for ever like the “Nike Air Max 1 Patta Cherrywood” or the “Nike Air Max 1 Atmos Viotech” simply because I’ll never be willing to pay that amount of Money for a sneaker. My only chance would be if those pair would be retro-ed sometime in the future.
The pairs that are somewhat realistic that I’m still looking for are:
- Nike Air Max 1 “Alabaster Dragon”
- Hanon x Diadora N9000 “Saturday Special”
- Ronnie Fieg x Asics Gel Lyte III “Salmon Toe”
- Nike Air Max 1 “Winter Pack Snowflake”
8. Do you have a favorite sneakerstore or -shop?
My home base store has been Asphaltgold in Darmstadt, Germany. That’s where I participated in the most camp outs over the years.
The guys from Asphaltgold welcomed me from the very first day I stepped in their shop by making me feel to be a part of the family. They have a great way of showing customers appreciation. Shot outs go out to Dani, Robert, Sebaestschen, Jeffy and the rest of the Staff.
But in the Frankfurt Region there are more really nice stores that need to be mentioned like 43einhalb and mbcystore (formerly Uebervart).
9. Which brand and / or model would you never wear in your life? And why is that?
I would never say never especially because some Brands have the power to re-invent themselves. It’s all a matter of personal taste and Style.
10. Which sneaker in your collection was the hardest to find/get?
The Alabaster Dragon was and still is super hard to find mainly because it has been a women’s colorway where big sizes are extra rare.
I’m on the hunt for these since years and still haven’t found them in my size (Men’s US10/Wmns US11.5). If somebody has those and is willing to sell – hit me up!
11. What advice would you like to give to new sneakerheads?
Buy what you really like regardless if it’s hyped or not. And most importantly “Rock ‘em don’t stock ‘em” !
12. What has been your biggest steal ever?
Probably the Air Max 1 Newspaper (2004) that is just not very popular and therefore quite difficult to find. I was able to cop these for as low as 80 Euro half a year ago in an overall decent condition but in desperate need of a restoration.
After doing some deep cleaning, repainting the mudguard and doing a sole swap, they look almost as good as new and getting rocked again.
13. How much time a day / a week do you spend on “sneakers”?
That’s a tough question. If I factor in everything that is sneaker related that I do like content creation, working on customs, hunting for new pairs etc. I would say probably 2-2.5 days a week.
14. How do your loved ones feel about your sneaker lifestyle?
I have a little 4-year-old son that is being raised as a future sneakerhead so he has no choice. My wife simply thinks I’m crazy but definitely supports my passion.
15. Where can people follow you on your socials?