1. Who (are you?), What (do you?), Where (do you live?)
Hi everybody, my name is Lizandro Bazilio, 25 years ago I started my career as a painter. Nowadays I design and make custom sneakers.
I was born in Cabo Verde, to be precise on the island Sal. Currently I am living in Rotterdam.
2. When did the love for sneakers start with you and how did that happen?
I bought my first pair of Nike Air Max 1 when I was 16 years old at the Sport Shoe Center at Berweg Rotterdam. I saw the shoe in ‘’Rotterdams dagblad’’ a daily newspaper.
At that time my parents could not afford these shoes. I wanted the shoe so bad that I worked a paper route for 1 month, taking the morning and evening shift. After I bought the shoe I quit the job instantly.
3. How many shoes to you have in your collection.
In the past I have given away shoes to people who are less fortunate. Among these shoes was the ‘’Mars Stone’’.
I would love to add this one to my collection again one day. Currently my collection consists of 54 shoes.
4. You recently took the course at Sneaker School, was this the first time you made your own shoe?
It was the first time a made a sneaker from scratch. Before I took the course I already had a bunch of shoes that I customized myself.
I started to see the flaws in the shoes that came out of the mass factories. The desire to stitch my own shoes grew.
5. How did you come up with the design of your shoe? And did you find it difficult to choose materials and colors?
I arrived at the studio with a premeditated plan. When I saw all the fabrics hanging I blacked out. I thought I knew one thing for sure, there had to be a zebra print on the shoe, that fabric never made it to the cutting table.
The plan that remained intact was the jungle theme. The first fabric I choose was the pink leopard print, Roel suggested I kept the basic part white. Usually I like to go al crazy with a multicolor shoe but this time I choose to walk a different route without losing my own identity.
6. What do you think of the end result of your own sneaker?
In one word AMAZING. I was so excited about the reactions I got but the biggest compliment came from Roel himself, he could picture it wearing himself.
After I posted the shoe on my Instagram my inbox exploded with people who wanted to buy it. So Nike if you read this, I would love to release this shoe together.
7. Are you planning to join the course again to make another shoe?
Definitely! I have received roel’s guidance as very profesional. I learned a lot during the 5 days course. No question was too much and this course is very inspiring.
8. Who would you like to design a sneaker for?
Floyd Mayweather jr, Jay Z or P. Diddy. Because the Air Max 1 could use a good ambassador in the USA.
9. If I want a sneaker from you, how does this work?
Find me on Instagram @Lizan_sneakers. Just send me a message and we can talk about your wishes and I will come up with a personal design.
10. What do you hope to achieve with Lizan sneakers?
I want to make my passion my job and inspire other people to pursue their dreams.
And breaking through worldwide with my brand would be a very pleasant side effect.