Read the Sneakerplaats interview with @rubens_lp10 here!
1. Who (are you?), What (do you for a living?), Where (do you live?)
Hello, my name is Rubén, I am 39 years old, I have a partner, two daughters and I live in Madrid. I currently work with people with disabilities, as a sports teacher and educator.
2. When did your love for sneakers start and why do you love sneakers so much?
Well, I started to really like sneakers when I was still a teenager, 16/17 years old. I remember seeing the older guys in my neighborhood with the BWs, and I fantasized about having them because I had no money.
In fact, the first pair I bought with my own money was a BW. I have always been very attracted to sneakers, since I also played soccer, and I was also interested in that world. I had things quite clear, for example I knew I hated high-top shoes, and to this day I haven’t had any.
3. Do you remember your first pair of sneakers? Which pair was it?
As I mentioned before , they were BWS , black and white , they were gorgeous . I felt God when I put them on. I bought them with my first salary (in a summer job) I was about 17 years old.
4. What’s your favorite brand and model?
My favorite brand: Nike. My silhouette : Air Max 1 , or as we used to say in my neighborhood : ” the 87 ” .
5. How many sneakers do you have in your collection?
Well, look at the counts recently. And currently I have 67 pairs; They are not many for the collections that are seen out there … And they will be less because lately I have been selling everything that I do not wear, or that I like less.
6. What’s your favorite pair from your collection?
Well, a bespoke pair that I designed, in relation to when Maradona won the 1986 World Cup. Curiously, Maradona died a few days before we finished the job. It is a pair that has a lot of history behind it… and the materials are top.
7. Which pair(s) are still on your wish list?
The one I want to get yes or yes , are the Air Max 1 ” Pinstripes ” . And with those I would retire already. Although, well, there are some that I see as economically unattainable, such as Cherrywood or BRS, for example.
8. Do you have a favorite sneakerstore or -shop?
The truth is that no, I usually buy everything online or from individuals. If it is true that there are stores that work better than others. But we won’t give names… lol
9. Which brand and / or model would you never wear in your life? And why is that?
I don’t like boots at all. Whether it’s Jordan, Adidas or any brand, I don’t look good. Then there are models like the Nike Vapormax or the Adidas Yeezy that I would never wear.
10. Which sneaker in your collection was the hardest to find/get?
Of the ones I have, the ones that have cost me the most have been the “Snowflakes”, and as I mentioned before, I’ve been looking for Pinstripes for a long time.
11. What advice would you like to give to new sneakerheads?
I would tell them to buy what they like, not to be carried away by the current. Who try to find the essence, and forget a little of everything that surrounds… I have made a good friend of this passion that we have; But I’ve also had some disappointment.
12. What has been your biggest steal ever?
I have this very clear! Some Air Max 1 Viotech, a couple of years ago. They cost me €280 in perfect condition.
13. How much time a day / a week do you spend on “sneakers”?
Currently somewhat more than I would like. I dedicate myself to customizing shoes and many people ask, tide, yes, then no. I waste a lot of time on this. In addition I also spend a lot of time in the time of creation, packaging, shipping, etc etc.
14. How do your loved ones feel about your sneaker lifestyle?
My girl suffers from it… having the house full of sneakers. Boxes are always arriving, and they no longer fit in the 3 giant shoe racks I have. So I leave them anywhere… My friends do like and enjoy and are interested in every job I do.
15. Where can people follow you on your socials? (Instagram, Facebook, etc)
Only Instagram : @rubens_lp10
For more interviews, check the link!
Do you want to be the next to be interviewed? Send us a message on Instagram!