1. Who (are you?), What (do you for a living?), Where (do you live?)
Hey guys! My name is Dan, I can’t get to much into what I do for a living but I work for the United States Federal Government (no I’m not Jason Bourne).
I live in Milwaukee, WI which is about 90 minutes north of Chicago if you aren’t familiar.
2. When did your love for sneakers start and why do you love sneakers so much?
My love for sneakers started in grade school. I went to a private school so we all wore uniforms but shoes is what made you stand out. That being said, growing up my family didn’t have a lot of money so I was often watching all these awesome shoes from the sidelines.
Now fast forward to me having the means usually to buy what I want (within reason) its resulted in quite the obsession. I love sneakers for the simple fact that they are works of art. So much time and effort can go into a pair, and if it has a cool background story to it as well that’s even better.
3. Do you remember your first pair of sneakers? Which pair was it?
The first pair I can remember getting as a kid was a pair of teal chuck taylors when I was 8 I believe. I’ve always loved bright colors and that’s still very true in my collection today.
As I got closer to high school and then in high school and beyond it’s always been the Air Max line. Air Max 1, 90, 95, 97 were all my favorites.
As the years have gone on my love for Air Max 1’s has never left me. It’s just a timeless design.
4. What’s your favorite brand and model?
Nike and the Air Max 1 is my all time favorite but I do like a few other models such as Air Max 90’s and New Balance 574’s. I guess you could say I tend to go for that throwback look.
5. How many sneakers do you have in your collection?
Currently I have about 60 pairs, mostly Air Max 1’s.
6. What’s your favorite pair from your collection?
My favorite pair in my collection has to be my bespoke pair I made in NYC at nikelab. That whole process was just amazing and the pair turned out beautiful. If that’s not fair I’d say the AM1 elephants or AM1 Denhams. Both just legendary pairs.
7. Which pair(s) are still on your wish list?
This is a tough one. A lot of pairs that I love are so old that they are basically unwearable. For example the Hemp pair of AM1 I totally love but most pairs you find these days need a sole swap right away. So I guess I’m hoping Nike keeps the retros coming from the early to mid 2000’s coming.
If I had to pick something that came out recently that I’d love to own I’d have to say the Parra F&F from 2018. That shoe looks like a circus and I love everything about it. Unfortunately those prices will keep it out of my collection. I’m crazy about shoes but I have to draw the line somewhere.
8. Do you have a favorite sneakerstore or -shop?
I don’t have a favorite sneaker shop necessarily. I enjoy any shop that gives me a chance to grab something I really want at retail without a hassle. Which can be hard to find these days. Locally here in Milwaukee, Moda3 is the spot though. (Shoutout to the Buffalo Street boys)
9. Which brand and / or model would you never wear in your life? And why is that?
Well I’ll say this. I tried getting into Yeezys. I really did. I always loved Kanye’s first few albums and love what he’s done with sneakers as a designer, but they just aren’t for me.
10. Which sneaker in your collection was the hardest to find/get?
It’s nothing crazy but I was looking for a pair of AM1’s from 2015. The liquid limes, they were just a basic GR but were nowhere to be found.
Took 2 years of searching but I found them. I enjoy the hunt for things like that.
11. What advice would you like to give to new sneakerheads?
My advice to new sneakerheads:
- Ignore the hype and buy/wear what you like.
- Wear your shoes. Seriously, wear them. At the end of the day, they’re just shoes.
- Don’t get frustrated with the resellers and sneaker apps (cough cough SNKRS ). It’s just the way things are and it won’t change.
- Being a sneakerhead can be amazing. I’ve met so many awesome people through social media that share my passion and we always look out for each other. That’s what it’s all about. Help someone out and the karma will bring it back to you when you need it.
12. What has been your biggest steal ever?
My biggest sneaker steal? When I was at NikeLab making my bespoke pair one of the design team left the room for a minute and came back with a pair of Off White 90’s in my size they had gotten by some random situation.
I got to buy them weeks after they dropped for retail, if that’s not a steal I’m not sure what is.
13. How much time a day / a week do you spend on “sneakers”?
I love shoes but my regular life keeps me pretty busy. I’m on Instagram a few times a day but that’s pretty much it. Working full time and having two little ones at home doesn’t leave much free time.
14. How do your loved ones feel about your sneaker lifestyle?
My wife tries to be supportive but she just doesn’t get it. I know not everyone understands and appreciates shoes the way some of us do but she tries her best. I’m thankful for that. She always lets me know which pairs she thinks are ugly.
15. Where can people follow you on your socials?
I’m only on Instagram @SconnieNative