1. Who (are you?), What (do you for a living?), Where (do you live?)
Hi my name’s Lamarr Boyer. I am a Shoemaker/customiser from London, UK. I work part time for my father’s property management company (waltergelms.com) and I am about to launch my handmade sneaker company LAB Couture in 2022.
2. What is your “customizer name” and how did you came up with it?
I go by LAB.Customs on Instagram. It’s made up from my name. La, which is what my family call me and the B from my surname. My company is called LAB Couture. Couture is a french word which literally translates in English to mean ‘Sewing’.
At first customising was like an experiment to me and now I feel like I am I’m my Laboratory creating dope kicks!
3. How did you get involved with custom sneakers and when did you start customizing?
I started doing customs in 2017. I remember seeing sneakers and thinking if only the toebox was different or if the swoosh was another colour etc.
One day I saw a friend of mine doing customs (that’s his artwork on the wall behind me @demograffix) and he showed me a video on YouTube and I just experimented.
4. Do you remember your first pair of custom sneakers? If so, tell us all about it and show us some pics?
Yeah I remember them, I used a 2008 AM90 I found under my bed. I didn’t know anything about painting at that time. The finish was so thick and shiny and the insides were hard but my paintwork was quite neat for my first attempt.
Looking back on them now it makes me smile to see how much I’ve improved.
5. Which brands and models do you prefer customizing?
I’m definitely team Nike but I love Yeezys too. AM1 and AJ4s are my favourite models and I can do some cool stuff on 350s because of the materials.
6. How many customs have you made?
I’ve done over 40 painted customs and I’ve made 7 handmade pairs so far, mostly AM1s. I’ve made one pair of AJ4s and one pair of AJ1s.
7. What do you think is your most beautiful pair of custom sneakers?
I think these handmade LAB Couture Air Max 1s are my favourites so far. I named them “Cool Joe”. This was my first ever bespoke sneaker design. It has real hair on leather, genuine snakeskin leather, Red corduroy and white Italian cow hide leather
8. How do you get inspiration for your custom sneakers?
I try not to do what everyone else is doing. I like to be slightly different. I think that comes from og hip hop culture which is my biggest influence.
I do get inspiration from everything I see though. I try to make things better, take ideas I like and add my drip to it. I think I have an eye for what’s dope.
9. Do you also make custom sneakers by appointment? If so, what do you need in terms of input and what does that process look like?
Yes most people like to go for what they have seen on my Instagram page but I also take requests. If you give me a theme/details I can come up a design and send you a photoshop edit of the custom.
Or if you already have an idea I can send you a blank outline of the shoe and you can send it back with your own design (or just explain it to me) and I’ll make it happen.
10. Have you got a fixed price for customizing or price per design? And what’s your range?
Painted customs start at £200 plus the shoe and Handmade sneakers start at £900 but it all depends on the design and how much work is involved.
11. How long does it takes to customize a pair of sneakers?
Its hard to estimate the amount of hours for painted customs but I would say about 40hrs for handmade sneakers. Painted customs take about 10 days on average and Handmade pairs take me 2 weeks to complete.
12. Where do you see yourself as a sneaker customizer in 5 years?
I aim for my company LAB Couture Ltd to become well known for the dopest high quality handmade sneakers. Another goal is to have my own purpose built studio to work in.
13. How do your loved ones feel about your “sneaker customizing” hobby?
It’s not just a hobby to me. My mother really encouraged me to seriously pursue sneaker customising before she passed away and that means the world to me.
14. Where can people follow you on your socials? (Instagram, Facebook, etc)
Follow me on Instagram, and also please follow my new page @Lab.couturelondon I will be focusing on handmade pairs and clothing on this page.
15. How can people buy your customs? Do you have a website or via social media?
My website will be up in the new year (2022) but for now I am taking PayPal orders via Instagram direct message or email Lab.firstname.lastname@example.org